07 Jan Skincare Resolutions for the New Year
It’s that time of year again: It’s the time to make New Year’s resolutions. Whether you’ve decided on your resolutions or not, there’s always time to add a few more. Specifically, add skincare to your goals this year. Keep reading to learn how to make your best skin a 2020 resolution.
Why add skincare to your resolutions?
You probably know and may have even set some of the most common New Year’s resolutions—lose weight, save more money, get a new job and the list goes on. These are all great resolutions. But one that tends to get overlooked is skincare. Sure, getting healthier in the New Year can help your skin, even if better skin isn’t your goal. But why not make better skin health its own goal? Understanding and taking care of your skin has a ton of benefits besides just looking your best. Your skin can be an indicator of your overall health and knowing your skin well can even help you detect skin cancer early. That’s why it’s important to remember your skin health this year when you’re setting New Year’s resolutions.
Now, it can be easy to just say “I want better skin in 2020.” While that’s a great overall goal, it’s a little ambiguous. That’s why we’ve pulled together some better goal setting tips and even listed a few resolution ideas to help get you started.
How to make realistic goals
Have you heard of SMART goals? These goals are particularly important for New Year’s resolutions, because they are, unfortunately, so easy to forget. However, by making SMART goals, you can create resolutions that are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. By creating SMART goals, you can accurately track the progress of your goals throughout the year, helping you stick to them even when it gets difficult. Here are some more tips for goal setting this year.
Skincare resolutions ideas
If you’re not sure where to start on skincare goals, don’t worry. We’ve pulled together a list of specific and realistic goals to help get you started.
- Use SPF every day. We know it’s been said, many times, many ways, but we really do mean it. To protect your skin from harmful sun damage, you should wear SPF every day. Not just when it’s sunny or warm but every day.
- Always remove your make-up. Sometimes it’s easier to just fall asleep in your make-up, but your skin will not thank you for it. Incorporate removing your make-up every night into your routine. Sleeping in make-up can clog your pores, make acne worse and even cause eye infections.
- Consistently wash your face. After you’ve removed your make-up, be sure to wash your face. Finding a consistent face-washing routine will help your skin stay cleansed and glowing all year. Be careful not to over wash, though. Typically, it’s best to wash your face twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, with a gentle cleanser.
- Drink more water. This could be a resolution on its own, but it does have skincare benefits. Your water intake not only keeps your hydrated, but it can also help keep your skin hydrated. Try these tips to drink more water in 2020.
- Don’t forget the skin on your body. Focusing on your facial skin is important, but it can be easy to forget the rest of your skin in the process. Don’t forget to keep your skin healthy and hydrated this year. If you have sensitive skin, try fragrance-free, gentle products like CeraVe, Aquafor and Vaseline.
- See a dermatologist. It can be difficult to find the time to visit the doctor. However, an annual trip to the dermatologist is vital to your skin health. Not only can a board-certified dermatologist and their staff help you achieve your skin goals and treat common skin conditions, they can also help with nail and hair issues, too. Also, it’s important to have an annual skin check to ensure you don’t have any suspicious spots on your skin, particularly if you’re at-risk for skin cancer.
- Treat yourself. Finally, treat yourself in 2020. If there’s a skincare treatment or product you’ve always wanted to try, prioritize it this year. An aesthetician or nurse injector can help you understand what aesthetic treatments might be right for your skin, offering you personalized advice and a plan to help you look and feel your best.
What are your 2020 resolutions?
Now that you know how to make great goals, what are your 2020 resolutions going to be? Will you incorporate any of these skincare goals into your resolutions this year? Remember, make your goals SMART this year, and you’ll have a greater chance of sticking to them. Just don’t forget your skin!
At Loven Dermatology and Aesthetics, we are passionate about providing patients in Middle Tennessee with the best dermatological care and service possible. We want to help you look and feel your best. That’s why we proudly offer highly advanced and individualized treatment for a range of skin concerns and needs. Please call us at 615.859.7546 for more information or to schedule your appointment.