13 Dec Itchy Scalp Causes and Remedies
Nothing puts a damper on a good hair day like an itchy scalp. Whether you suffer from a severe itch or flaking, scalp problems can be a source of annoyance and even embarrassment. An itchy scalp can also be a pain, literally. Scratching can cause cuts, scarring and even infections. That’s why it’s important to understand the cause of your symptoms to create a treatment plan that’s right for you. Keep reading to learn more about itchy scalp causes and remedies.
Itchy scalp causes
What causes your itchy scalp? It may depend on the weather, your lifestyle or your health. Determining what causes a dry, itchy scalp isn’t always easy, but we’ve gathered a few common causes to help you get started.
- Dandruff. If you have scalp flaking, you might have dandruff. While annoying, dandruff isn’t usually serious. Specialty shampoos and treatments can help restore moisture to the scalp and keep flaking at bay.
- Psoriasis. Psoriasis can occur anywhere and is common the scalp. About 50% of people with plaque psoriasis report flare-ups on the scalp, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Plaque psoriasis is characterized by raised, rough patches on the skin that may crack, burn and itch.
- Lice. When you think of lice, you may think of school. However, adults can contract head lice, too. While lice is most commonly passed by direct contact, sharing hair brushes, hats and more with an infected person can also cause lice. If you think you have head lice, over-the-counter medications or prescription-strength treatments are needed.
- Allergic reaction or hives. Sometimes, hair products may cause an itchy scalp. If your products are too harsh or contain an allergen, your scalp may react with itching or burning sensations. You may also experience hives either from an allergen or other irritant.
- Dry scalp. Particularly in winter, a dry scalp may cause itching. Your skin needs moisture, and the dryer, colder air in winter can keep skin from hydrating properly. This is true of the scalp, too.
Itchy scalp remedies
Home remedies for itchy scalp are everywhere on the internet. From apple cider vinegar to hair masks, there is no shortage of advice available. Here are a few remedies that might be worth a try.
- Eliminate harsh products. If your symptoms are due to allergic reaction, you may need to evaluate your hair care products. Try to eliminate any harsh products and slowly remove treatments from your routine. This can help you understand what is causing your reaction.
- Try dandruff or specialty shampoos. If you suffer from dandruff, try specialized shampoos to help ease your symptoms. There are many over-the-counter hair care products designed specifically to target dandruff and dry scalp.
- See a board-certified dermatologist. Did you know that dermatologists also care for the scalp? It’s true! If you have persistent problems with dry, itchy scalp, it’s time to see an expert. A board-certified dermatologist can help diagnose and treat a wide range of hair, skin and nail diseases to keep you happy and healthy.
To sum it up
An itchy scalp can be a pain. Itching may be caused by an existing autoimmune disease, like psoriasis, or temporary dermatitis. No matter what causes your symptoms, it’s always best to seek advice from a doctor before trying any remedies for a persistent skin issue. Don’t let itching ruin your day.
At Loven Dermatology, we are passionate about providing patients in Middle Tennessee with the best dermatological care and service possible. We want to help you look and feel your best. That’s why we proudly offer highly advanced and individualized treatment for a range of skin concerns and needs. Please call us at 615.859.7546 for more information or to schedule your appointment.